Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 20, 2012


I know this is not a car but it is my next project. The is a 1972 BMW R75/5. A classic. 750 cc. All the bells and whistles for the day. This bike cost more than most cars in 1972. A friend of mine told me about this bike. A friend of his had it in his garage since 1977. He quit riding one day and just parked it. It is all original. I brought it home and tore it down to clean it up. The motor was locked up so I was able to purchase this bike for $350.00 and it had a clean title. A good buy I think but tons of work to do.
I managed to get the motor freed up. He has let it sit without every starting it again and with a full tank of gas. To make a long story short I was able to pour some PB Blaster into the spark plug holes and let it sit for a while. After I thought it has sat long enough with that in it I went out and pushed down on the kick starter. (The bike has both kick start and electric start - go figure - The Germans know how to engineer stuff for sure) Anyway after a few taps on the kick starter lightly the engine broke loose. I made sure I had spark and after cleaning the carbs (Bing carbs can be a bummer sometimes) I attempted to start it. It turned over but I did  not want to tax the starter. So I left it alone for a couple of days. After turning it over daily for a bit I hooked up my battery charger and turn on to full boost. With the help of starting fluid is fired and smoke and fire belched out of the exhaust. I had removed the mufflers by the time. It only ran for a few seconds. I did this daily for a week and it progressively got easier to start and finally yesterday it ran for as long as I wanted to to. These bikes has a distinct sound because of the boxer engine. Ran it for no more that ten minutes since it is an air cooled engine and did not want to overheat it just sitting still like that. I AM NOW OFFICIALLY AN "AIRHEAD".  Harley's are not the only bikes with a cool sound,. Yall have a good day now. Ya heaa - God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment