Total Pageviews

Friday, May 6, 2011

My Third Car

This is the third car I had during high school.  Yes third...the reason I had so many cars to drive while I was in high school was that my dad was a Ford mechanic and was always buying and selling cars for extra money. This old '58 was purchased from Wight Motor Company in Buena Vista Georgia where my dad worked.

This was a good durable car. The only problem it had was its driver. I was cruzin' around one day and had three buddies with me. Stopped at a stop sign and being the kewl guy I thought I was then I put the car in neutral, it was an automatic, raced the motor and slammed it into gear thinking I was going to do a burnout and have something to brag about. As soon as I slammed it into gear the car lurched about one foot, no tire spin...hmmm........

I let off of the gas and no matter what gear I put it in the car would not move. Naturally I had to get a ride to where my dad was and when he got off of work that day we pulled it home...about 10 miles.

He said "Well son you broke it now fix it....uh oh....now what was I going to do. I knew something about cars but nothing about automatic trannys...I jacked it up and started to take the tranny out. As soon as I took the dust cover off the flywheel I discovered what I had done.

The tires got so much grip that as soon as I put all that torque on the flywheel it broke it right around the bolts pattern. I was lucky that I did not damage the tranny. But I did have to take the bolts out of the tranny and slide it back in order to remove and replace the flywheel. And by the way, it was in the middle of the summer in south Georgia and I was laying on my back under the car in the good old Georgia sand sweating my butt off.

Anyway I got it done and needless to say as soon as I did my dad sold it..now what was I going to do for a ride.

That will be answered in my next blog....Yall have a good day now...yah heah

No comments:

Post a Comment